5 Tips to Become a Lean Green Saving-Money Machine
Exercise, diet and sleep. The three major components of health and well-being that we have control over.
We talked about the exercise economies and new measures ( mostly FREE ) we are putting into action, ( and I did forget to mention bikes, roller-blades and skipping ropes we have hidden away that we need to get re-acquainted with ).
So today here are five tips on what we can do to bring down the grocery bills:
- Make a list and stick to it..do not impulse buy magazines and desserts, biscuits etc. Make sure you are not hungry when you start your shop….fatal.
- Make a list of which organic ingredients you will not sacrifice. Mine are eggs and fruits. My girlfriend who eats chickens would never again buy a non-free roaming bird again. We all have our ethical reasons as well as what our taste-buds tell us. I assume most of you like a little or a lot of organic or else you wouldn’t be reading a health web-site, so have a good think about what is important to you, and what you can substitute with non-organic.
- Can you grow anything? I have 2 window boxes of herbs and 2 big round pots outside the kitchen door for baby tomato plants. If you have a garden, get into those raised beds and start cultivating…as long as you warm-up before-hand, the gardening is great as exercise and you’re breathing fresh air ! Get digging.
- Cut down on the red-meats …that’ll save you money and it’s great to get back to a good joint of meat being a treat on a weekend from your local butcher.
- Clip coupons from the newspaper and from in-store brochures / fliers. It opens you up to new brands and products and then think of them as a new ” treat”.
There are many other ways too…but if you stick to these simple five, you’ll be amazed how you can keep a really healthy diet but not succumb to over-packaging and over-priced processed goods.
Can I state the obvious too….DRINK LOADS OF WATER…often we eat sugary or processed foods when we are actually dehydrated and not in need of sugar. So out go the carbonated drinks for this shopping trip too!
Let me know how you fare and add your favorite tips too.